Yeah that title does sound strange yet it is accurate. Ice Cream Sandwich is the name of Android’s new operating system making its way to phones and tablets sometime this November. It promises to improve on an already great OS. Here are five of my favorite new features in Ice Cream Sandwich.
1. Android Beam: Like the iOS Bump It app, Beam will allow you to share apps, directions, videos, and more by tapping two Android 4.0 phones together. It’s really as simple as that.
2. Data Management: On the surface this doesn’t sound too exciting yet it could save you some money (to buy more apps) each month. The management system lets you set up alerts for when you’re about to pass certain data levels and caps to avert those pesky monthly overage-fees. More useful than it sounded, right?
3. New Camera Functions: I have felt for a while now that phones will eventually replace the pocket camera. Face it, why carry two devices when one would be sufficient? Android 4.0 adds high-speed shooting to the mix and a photo editor with a number of cool features all its own. Shoot, edit, upload, all from a single device.
4. Screenshots: Taking a screenshot on an Android phone without having to get another app? What a novel idea! Ice Cream Sandwich lets you do this in a rather simple way. Hold down the power and the volume-down simultaneously and ‘POOF’ instant screenshot for later reference. We can all breathe a sigh of relief!
5. Contacts and Social Networking: Android 4.0 now displays your contacts as cards that are created from your social networking contacts. Cards can be added and updated manually if necessary and each card updates as your contacts change their social networking information.
Five really cool new features coming to you soon wrapped in an Android Ice Cream Sandwich.